Art & Activism Project: Rhino & Pangolin Poaching
Attention Artist & Conservationists:
We are requesting your participation in a social media campaign to raise awareness against rhino and pangolin poaching. Rhinos and pangolins are being poached in record numbers to supply an increasing black market demand for their horns and scales (which are made from the same proteins as our toenails). On World Rhino Day we plan to speak out. Join with us and lend your talent to support this important cause.
THE PROJECT BRIEF
Please draw either a rhino or a pangolin. Replace the rhino horn or pangolin scales with toenail / nail clippings. GROSS! We know. But that visceral reaction you just had... that is the point. These animals are being killed in masses so people can ingest horns and scales that are made of the same materials as our toenails. We want to gross them out!
A few simple rules:
- Please do not post until September 21st (the day before International Rhino Day). We want to flood social media.
- Our main focus for the artwork is Instagram so please post there. Square images work best on Instagram.
- At 9 am EST on September 22nd, we will send out an e-mail with a blog post that will be shareable to all other social media outlets (facebook, twitter, pinterest ect). If we all share from this blog post it will be the best method to get our project noticed.
- Please use all of the following hashtags (many are in Vietnamese and Chinese): #justGiantToenails #sátcánhcùngtêgiác #ourhornisnotmedicine #WorldRhinoDay #savethepangolin #穿山甲 #犀牛 #contete #contêtê #worthmorealive #CoP17 #DemandAppendix1
- Feel free to use your existing artwork and just replace/cover the horn or scales with nail clippings.
- Please share with other artists who may be interested in participating.
If you are interested in receiving reminder emails for this project sign up here.